I want you to teach me something I don’t know. I’m the type of guy that likes to be prepared. I scour YouTube for gaming guidance and instruction. What I end up finding are vids highlighting someone’s 1337 game skillz and benign, uninspired commentary or vids with halfway decent commentaries that would be a whole lot better if I didn’t have to sit through an introduction that lasted 30 seconds too long and a copious amount of mindless blathering. If I wanted to listen to mindless blathering I’d watch a Republican presidential debate or turn on Fox News for 30 seconds. And seriously, what’s with the Hollywood style lead-ins? Here’s a clue, if your intro lasts longer than 10 seconds, IT’S TOO BLOODY LONG. And for God’s sake write a f—ing script and STAY FOCUSED.
All that being said I do have some game commentators bookmarked. These gentlemen are, for the most part, the best of the best (IMHO).
- The Red Dragon – I only recently stumbled on Jeremy (aka The Red Dragon) when I was looking for guidance in BF3. TRD produces quite a few instructional videos for BF3 and is the brains behind BATTLESTRATS and those reasons alone make him one of the best game commentators around. But the thing that keeps me tuned into his channel is even his live gameplay commentaries have something to teach you. Where other commentators just babble on about their weekends, TRD actually talks about the game. Whether it’s an upcoming patch or a strategy, TRD is focused on making you a better gamer pretty much all of the time. And the vids in which he’s off on a tangent talking about aliens and crap are clearly labeled as such. The Red Dragon rocks.
- XBOX AHOY – Nothing but educational gaming goodness here. No rants, no mindless commentary, no tangents. AHOY is always focused on the matter at hand, making you a better gamer. Too bad he concentrates on CoD but sometimes his vids can be applied to BF and occasionally he switches it up.
- WoodysGamertag – Woody is well worth visiting if you’re a CoD player. But lately you will have to sort through a lot of commentary garbage and goofing around to get to his more substantial gaming tutelage.
- NextGenTactics & G2PO – Home to GUNNS4HIRE, DCRU Colin, and zombie killing maestro SpiderBite, amongst others. Now, back in the MW2 days NGT was banging out vid after vid of instructional gaming goodness. These days they are hit and miss. GUNNS likes to hear himself talk a little too much. He wouldn’t be so bad if he stayed a little more focused and realized most of the time he’s just not that funny. GUNNS does occasionally bang out some good gaming tutelage but lately it’s been mostly Minecraft and The Old Republic gameplay (seriously? MINECRAFT? People want to watch other people play Minecraft instead of actually playing it? WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?) SpiderBite‘s a really cool guy but his focus is zombies which has never been my thing. DCRU Colin is my new favorite there. Another commentator that likes to go on tangents in his gameplay commentaries but when Colin gets around to making a focused instructional video it’s well worth watching. Go to the G2PO site if you’re looking for something specific from the NGT gang, it’s much easier to navigate.
- SHuSTYBANG (fakethriller & snoov603) – These two produce some good video tutelage together. Their BF3 weapon review series looks promising (if they keep it up.) Individually they suffer from the same malaise every other game commentator suffers from; they like to hear themselves talk. If you’re willing to sit through the babbling you may pick up a tip or two. I should mention a friend of theirs, Ozerec. Oz does a lot of MW3 gameplay and, like his buddies, you can pick up a tip or two if you’re willing to sit through all the drivel.
- Shibby2142 – Despite the annoying intro which thankfully lasts only 10 seconds Shibby is onto something with his BF3 Tips in 1 Minute or Less series. Shibby is well worth visiting.
- YeshGaming – At the time of this writing Yesh has a total of 7 deliciously good BF3 strategy/instructional vids, including two most excellent vids on how to fly the helicopter. I hope Yesh makes some more.
- The Battlefield 3 Enthusiast – Don’t let the tinny vocals turn you off, 1WINDSHEAR has some solid advice and tutelage to offer.
I have some others bookmarked but these are the lads I go to when I want to learn something the rest are for the occasional laugh. As an adult gamer with precious little spare gaming time I don’t get why people waste so much time on YouTube watching other people play games. Or why anyone would listen to the life lessons of someone who games for a living. If I type a game’s title into the YouTube search bar I’m looking for something substantial about the game. Most of the time I type in ‘Battlefield 3 MP game tips‘ and what comes back is ‘some boob playing BF3 while he talks bagatelle.’
So who do you guys follow? If you have any recommendations please tell us in the comments.