Wondering how the latest Battlefield 3 patch (1.04) affects gameplay?
- Battlefield 3: F-35 Lighting Patch Changes and Jet Changes by LevelCapGaming
- Battlefield 3 PATCH 1.04 Details – FLAK Specialization by TheRealMossi
- Battlefield 3 PATCH 1.04 Details – Coaxial HMG by TheRealMossi
- Battlefield 3 PATCH 1.04 Details – Tank Cannon by TheRealMossi
- Battlefield 3 PATCH 1.04 Details – RPG vs. TANK by TheRealMossi
- Battlefield 3 PATCH 1.04 Details – JAVELIN vs. TANK by TheRealMossi
- How suppression really works post patch and what it EXACTLY does by rivaLxfactor
- BF3: Bring Your X Game – Suppression Tactics by DCRU Colin and rivaLxfactor
- Battlefield 3 Heavy Barrel Vs Flash Suppressor Post Patch by 1WINDSHEAR
- BF3: What happened to the Attachments? A G36 Study! by CANjamin000
- Battlefield 3: Foregrip Guide (After Patch) by LevelCapGaming
- Battlefield 3 The Best Guns Post Patch by 1WINDSHEAR
- Battlefield 3-AK-74M Post Patch: A Brand New Gun by cloudedtruth
- AK74M assault rifle gameplay thoughts and setup by rivaLxfactor
- AKS-74U Engineer gameplay and weapon setup with thoughts and advice by rivaL xfactor
- Battlefield 3: RPK-74M Weapon Review by LevelCapGaming
- Support and RPK Review Post Patch by 1WINDSHEAR
- Magnum post patch gameplay featuring a breakdown info and tips by rivaL xfactor
- Favorite 3 assault weapons and specific attachments post balance patch by rivaL xfactor
- Battlefield 3: AEK-971 Heavy Barrel, Foregrip (Patch Changes) by LevelCapGaming
- BF3: Patch Thoughts and Server Update by SHuSTYBANG
- Battlefield 3 New Patch Analysis by 1WINDSHEAR
- BF3 Server Rental Guide & Features – Walkthrough Tutorial by TWTHEREDDRAGON
Overall the patch makes some great changes to the dynamics of the game. Ground forces are a bit more effective against vehicles. No more USuckAtShooting Frag round spamming and people seem to be switching things up a bit now. The game feels more tactical and less run-n-gun.
While I am thrilled that we can now rent private servers I am a little dismayed that EA and DICE have apparently implemented this system at the expense of official [DICE] servers. It is near impossible to find an empty enough DICE server to get a 4 man squad into. It’s starting to seem like DICE and EA have figured out yet another way to make you pay additional fees for something they should be providing as part of the package. The general population servers that once seemed so plentiful are now being allocated as subscription servers.
The other caveat with the private servers is the sometimes idiotic and insane setups you can stumble into. 3,000 ticket Operation Metro servers and if you’re not careful you could end up playing a 3 hour long round of Conquest.
They have now unlocked flares for jets right away. That’s fine. But I already unlocked flares for my jet. Shouldn’t I have the next item unlocked in consolation for my now pointless efforts? No? Oh, that’s right, they want me to pay to unlock it. Yeah, once again, FUCK YOU EA.
As far as what loadouts I’m using now. I’m kind of partial to the G3A3 (with Heavy Barrel, mostly because I haven’t unlocked Flash Suppressor for it yet) with a Masterkey setup (DART rounds) or smoke if I’m playing Rush for my Medic class. I’m undecided on what gun to ride with on my Support class. LMG’s seem to be only good for suppression these days so I think I’ll stick with the M240B I’ve been using or maybe go back to the QBB-95. I’ve gone back to the SG553 on my Engineer class but I haven’t really settled on attachments for this gun yet. I may just set up the SG553 for long range encounters (Heavy Barrel and Bipod) and set up the A-91 for close range encounters (Laser, Grip) so I can adjust to the SITREP faster. I like both guns, but I have not used the A-91 much post patch so this may change. As for Recon, I’ve been using the SKS a lot. For my sidearm I’ve been going with the .44 Magnum as per DCRU Colin and rivaL xfactor’s advice.
All this is bound to change as I put more hours into post patch play and the community adjusts to the patch and inevitably figures out how to manipulate it. After watching some of the review videos above I may go back to my beloved AEK-971. But first I want to finish unlocking the rest of the attachments on the G3A3, just so I have that long range ‘ooomph‘ for the larger maps available.
Alas, everything I select is situational these days, more so after the patch. I’m not afraid to waste a few extra seconds prepping a different loadout after I die. If the enemy is letting me flank them too easy, I’ll throw a silencer on the gun. Enemy air a pain in the ass? Pull out the Stinger. If we have plenty of missiles flying upwards, pull out the SOLFLAM. And I think this is where the patch shines. The game now seems to be rewarding you for making tactical decisions like this, where as before it seemed to punish you for it.